The Slice: Ice Cream Holidays and Taco Takeovers
I AM 32 FLAVORS AND THEN SOME
This Sunday, July 16th, is #NationalIceCreamDay, and while my relationship with national food holidays can best be described as blithely ambivalent, I refuse to look such a gift horse in the mouth.
How many of these Ice Cream Day celebrations do you think you can handle? Remember, this is a judgement-free zone.
- Charm School is going all out with an entirely breakfast-themed menu. "In place of things like sprinkles, fudge etc, will be things like Fruity Pebbles, Cocoa Pebbles, Lucky Charms and maple syrup as toppings," Charm School founders Alex Zavaleta and Meryl Hillerson explained via email. "We will have Eggo Waffle sundaes and Vegan Pop Tart sundaes." The duo adds that they are also excited about a collaboration with Sub Rosa Bakery--Follow Charm School on Instagram to find out exactly how it'll take shape.
- Stoplight Gelato isn't just celebrating National Ice Cream Day; it's also the gelato shop's first birthday! There will be live music, gelato cupcakes, and a gelato flavor competition.
- Gelati Celesti is paying it forward, not just on National Ice Cream Day, but all weekend long. They're participating in Anthem's LemonAid RVA Restaurant Challenge. From July 14th through the 16th, order featured flavor Lemon Custard, and a percentage of the sales will be donated to support the fight against childhood cancer.
- (EDIT) THIS JUST IN: Gelati Celesti is making things very interesting indeed by giving away an ice cream party for 50 people! To enter this Sunday-only promo, "customers can either grab an entry form at any of the stores or tag a pic enjoying a scoop of Gelati Celesti at #gelaticelestiispurejoy by 10:00 Sunday night," says Heidi Ziglar. "The hour-long party must be held in the Richmond, VA area. Winner will be announced on July 18."
- Whisk is offering an ice cream making class from 3:30 to 6:00 pm! There are a few spots left, and registration is open through Friday. Learn to make (and eat) French Vanilla Ice Cream, Fruit Sorbet, Caramel Sauce, and Fruit Compote.
- Or, head to Bev's or Sweet95. Neither shop has announced Ice Cream Day specials, per se, but then, when isn't ice cream already special enough?
STATE FAIR, DON'T CARE
You'll have to wait until September 29th for the official Virginia State Fair, but while you're waiting, check out the foodiest state fair in town, the Midtown State Fair, this Sunday from 11:00 to 4:00.
Vendors including Birdie's Pimento Cheese, Rappahannock River Oysters, Nate's Bagels, and Bastini Farms (among others) will be sampling and selling food from 11:00 to 4:00 at the lake at Libble Mill-Midtown. And, in a three-part Virginia Beef Cook-Off; Heaven's Hollow Farm, Shalom Farms, Team Shagbark and Tricycle Gardens will be going head to head (to head to head), cooking on Kudu grills with Chopped Champion Tanya Cauthen judging in the final round.
This is a kick-off event for Fire, Flour & Fork, tickets for which go on sale on August 1st.
The wonderful worlds of tacos and BBQ collide on Monday, June 24th at Flora when award-winning pitmaster Anthony DiBernardo of Swig & Swine BBQ in Charleston, SC pops up for a one-night-only extravaganza featuring tacos, smoked meats, drinks, and yes, South Carolina-style sauce. Whip yourself up into a hunger frenzy this Sunday, July 16th at 10:00 pm, watching Swig & Swine on Food Porn on the FYI Network.
Early bird tickets came and went, but don't let that stop you from snapping up the regularly-priced tickets ($100) to Folk Feast. Sixteen of Richmond's favorite chefs will be serving up dishes in this annual fundraiser for the Folk Festival. Participating chefs include Brittanny Anderson of Brenner Pass and Metzger Bar & Butchery, Randall Doetzer of Nota Bene, Whisk's Morgan Botwinick, and Saison's Adam Hall. Wine, beer, and live music are all included, as are Folk Festival parking passes and a special pin that exempts you from the festival's 'bucket brigade.'
PEANUTS FOR US
Apple Cart client Whitley's Peanut Factory announced plans this week to open their third retail location, and this one is in Richmond. The 31-year-old, family-owned company sells hand-cooked peanuts and confections and has a devout national following thanks to their popular catalogues. Locally, you can find Whitley's at Ellwood Thompson's, and be on the look out for Whit, Whitley's charming Peanut-Man mascot, at events around town as the company gets closer to their fall Grand Opening.
Just when you think you know Carytown like the back of your hand, a slew of new businesses opens up. Richmond Magazine walks us through what's new along a few of RVA's most shoppable blocks, including The Good Leaf Salad Market, an expanded Greek on Cary, The Tottering Tea Cup, and a blossoming Burger Bach.
COLONEL OF TRUTH
Why is KFC so bad at making fried chicken and so good at marketing? SHRUG EMOJI, I DON'T CARE, someone get me all of this KFC apparel STAT.
IF YOU DO NOTHING ELSE...
Put your brunch budget to good use this Sunday, July 16th at Dutch & Co. from 11:00 to 3:00 at their Brunch to Benefit the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. The a la carte menu includes a "fried dough basket" and...you know what, I'm not even going to bother with the other menu items. If a fried dough basket isn't motivation enough, why would I even mention the caper-cured salmon, the green omelet, or the ebelskiver pancakes? I mean, what would be the point?
SIP OF THE WEEK: VEGAN SHAKES AT BOULEVARD BURGER & BREW
These cool treats, available in cookies and cream, banana, and choco-peanut butter, are big on fun and totally lacking in animal products. Pair one with a BB&B's quinoa-lentil patty, topped with a vegan onion ring, and you've got yourself a cruelty-free dinner.
BITE OF THE WEEK: THE EGG McSESSION AT RAPP SESSION
Harmony Hill eggs, Harmony Hill pork sausage, and melted cheddar live in, well, harmony on a housemade English Muffin at Rapp Session. You'll find the breakfast sandwich on the Cafe Menu at Rapp Sesh, available from 7:30 am to 1:30 pm, daily.
GRAM OF THE WEEK: @CAVA
Cava opens their Short Pump location TODAY (Thursday, July 13th), and they're giving away food! Stop by for a free meal, live music, lawn games, and Whisk cookies from 5:30 to 7:30.